Materials & Textiles Trends
The materials and textiles area is applicable to the entire product development pipeline.
Biofacturing: Growing the Future
Nature fuses with science in biofacturing, a cutting-edge approach to design and manufacturing that sees products and systems not made, but grown.Get Report
How we help
At WGSN, we know the challenges within the market, anticipate our customers needs and deliver the right content at the right time.
- We help textiles mills work ahead of retailers and brands, with inspirational and informational reports which enable you to anticipate what retailers are looking for by season.
- WGSN trend and analysis allows everyone to be on the same page and time line, from mill through to manufacturer, buyer and designer.
- Our Forecasts reports offer inspiration and product development ideas to designers, manufacturers and mills.
- We provide essential direction for designers, developers, manufacturers and yarn and fibre producers, with exclusive samples from studios, creatives and mills.
WGSN's Materials & Textiles Customers
WGSN’s subscription offers leading market content and resources for roles across the business, including fabric and trims design, sourcing, development or buying, as well as apparel design, manufacturing, sourcing, buying or merchandising.
Our clients include fibre and yarn producers, textiles, materials and trims mills, garment manufacturers, retail brands and designers.
Industry Specific Features
- Seasonal Forecasts: Surface & Materials, Knit & Jersey, Textiles, Trims & Embellishments
- Textiles Sourcing Guides showcase essential and actionable fabrics in collaboration with mills from around the world and highlight key textiles and mills to look out for at upcoming global trade events
- Fabrics China Selection presents an edit of fashion-led woven and knitted fabric collections from Chinese mills
- Trade show reports: Spinexpo, Première Vision, Milano Unica, Interfilière, Pitti Filati, Intertextile, Lineapelle
- Catwalk Analysis: Comprehensive textiles and trims catwalk analysis for women’s and men’s apparel categories
- Innovation & sustainability reports highlight the key fibres, textiles, processes, products and brands pushing the boundaries in innovation or sustainability
From the Blog...
Highlights from the wonderful world of Tim Walker’s new V&A exhibition
September 26, 2019 | Jane Boddy
Waste No More: Eileen Fisher’s Latest Endeavor Turns Discarded Clothing Into Art
April 5, 2019 | Sidney Morgan-Petro
Coloro X WGSN S/S 21 Key Colors: Good Gray
March 25, 2019 | Joanne Thomas
Coloro X WGSN S/S 21 Key Colors: Lemon Sherbet
March 21, 2019 | Joanne Thomas
Coloro X WGSN S/S 21 Key Colors: Oxy Fire
March 19, 2019 | Joanne Thomas
WGSN Materials & Textiles Experts
Head of Colour
Jenny is a skilled colour forecaster with an in-depth knowledge of conceptual colour development. She identifies emerging colour trends and tracks their evolution across multiple industries.
Having trained as a woven textile designer, Jenny went on to lead colour forecasting in the automotive and footwear industry for 20 years, working at Nissan and advising clients such as Patagonia and Merrell. Her process is driven by creativity and strategic thinking, and she is always seeking the perfect colour for the right product.
Jenny is a home crafter who currently quilts with recycled denim and experiments with natural dyes.
Head of Materials, Knit and Textiles
Helen enables creative teams to translate future concepts into material realities. With a background in fibre, yarn, knitwear and textiles, she brings over 25 years’ industry expertise in materials forecasting and product development to WGSN, working and consulting with mills, manufacturers and fashion brands from Europe to Asia.
Helen excels at threading together big picture design and lifestyle concepts with consumer insights to create actionable product trends, enabling clients to stay ahead in a changing market. Motivated by ethical and responsible design, she serves as a passionate advocate for WGSN’s Sustainability board.
Helen loves cats, crafts, ceramics and the countryside.
Head of Research
Ella is obsessed with the human condition and understanding why we do the things we do, citing people-watching as a favourite pastime.
Sitting at the intersection of WGSN's products to coordinate strategists, analysts and researchers from around the world, Ella's position supports each team to deliver accurate, human-centred recommendations that enable clients to make decisions with confidence.
Ella’s previous experience includes roles at Sunspel, Chloé and Vivienne Westwood, specialising in accessories and jewellery.
A born and bred Londoner, Ella can be coaxed away from city life at the promise of a brisk walk and a good pub lunch.
Senior Strategist, Knitwear
Charlotte delivers future and close-to-season trend analysis and industry insight across knitwear and jersey. With an in-depth knowledge of hand and industrial techniques, yarns and sustainable sourcing, she balances creativity and commercial relevance across men’s and women’s categories, covering design, catwalks and trade shows.
Having previously worked for brands and labels such as Nicole Farhi, McQ, Winni Lok and New Look, Charlotte has a wealth of expertise and experience.
Charlotte enjoys working with students, inspired by their creativity and ability to propel the industry forward.