From algae-based materials to buzzy super-ingredients, discover the top trends that will define consumers’ lives for 2023 and beyond, covering fashion, interiors, beauty, tech and food and drink.
LONDON, January, 2023 – WGSN, the global authority on trend forecasting, releases the top trends in consumer behaviour and product development for 2023 and beyond. Informed by WGSN’s unique methodology, the 13 trends reveal the future of tomorrow.
The top trends for 2023 are:
- Digital Lavender – Already embedded in digital culture, WGSN's imaginative Colour of the Year will represent wellness, digital escapism and stability.
- Decentralised Social Media – Social media moves towards decentralised models, which are set to redefine connection and community.
- Mindful Gaming – Gaming will increasingly become a source for healing, influencing product design for hardware, accessories and environments.
- The Modular Sneaker – When is a sneaker not a sneaker? When it’s modular. Detachable and interchangeable components on sneakers are on the rise in the footwear market.
- Algae-based Alternatives – Algae is set to be the new fashion super-solution for creating lower-impact fibres, foams and materials.
- Sea Moss – Sea moss is the next beauty superfood. This multitasking ingredient will migrate from skincare to haircare, bath and body, and beauty edibles.
- Skin Rewilding – Skin rewilding becomes the antidote to modern skin problems, with ‘seed and feed’ products that help to repair, strengthen and protect the skin’s natural flora.
- Uni – Uni, the edible rich, creamy orange lobe part of the sea urchin, will move beyond the fine dining menu to flavour more packaged goods.
- Sotol – Sotol is the latest Mexican spirit to gain global prominence. This spirit distilled from the desert spoon shrub will be a cocktail star in 2023.
- Solar Energy Revolution – Watch the solar energy revolution hit mass, powering everyday household accessories and more. Shine on!
- Sweaters for Furniture – We're all going soft. Consumers will dress and undress furniture with cosy upholstery and textiles to warm up humans and the home.
- Fantasy Fitness – ‘Exercising for fun’ takes on a new meaning with gamified workouts. Enter the fitness metaverse for your daily workout in 2023.
- Everyday AR – Augmented reality will become a daily tool, moving from smartphones to AR navigation and AR smart glasses.
The full report can be downloaded at no cost here.
NOTES TO EDITORS
For quotes and interviews with WGSN’s consumer experts, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WGSN is the global authority on consumer, lifestyle and product design trends, helping brands around the world create the right products at the right time for tomorrow’s consumer.
WGSN's trusted consumer and design forecasts power outstanding product design, enabling our customers to create a better future. Our services cover consumer insights, beauty, consumer tech, fashion, interiors, lifestyle, food and drink forecasting, data analytics and expert advisory.
WGSN is an Ascential company. Visit wgsn.com
Ascential delivers specialist information, analytics and eCommerce optimization platforms to the world's leading consumer brands and their ecosystems.
Our world-class businesses improve performance and solve problems for our customers by delivering immediately actionable information combined with visionary longer-term thinking across Digital Commerce, Product Design, Marketing and Retail & Financial Services.
With more than 3,000 employees across five continents, we combine local expertise with a global footprint for clients in over 120 countries. Ascential is listed on the London Stock Exchange.