Mar 25, 2019 | By Joanne Thomas
Kevin Plank, CEO and founder of Under Armour, is all about the brand, as well as maintaining a point of view and having real belief in what he does. Here’s our pick of the top five sound bites from his session at Cannes Lions.
– The brand is everything. For us, it’s the brand, the brand, the brand. No matter what we do it comes back to relying on the brand. That is our message.
– Creativity is important, but you need to have a really great product. Get out of theory land and find out if your product can actually sell.
– A brand is not a brand unless it has a point of view. Tell your story: your tone of voice is everything.
– Building and scaling a brand is like climbing a mountain. You have to pull out the ice pick to get to the next rung. We were a good company, but now we have scale, we are great. And keep adding expertise as you grow – that is paramount.
– The purpose of brands is to bring you products you never knew you needed, but once you have it, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it.
Subscribers should look out for the Big Ideas report from Cannes Lion on the site next week.
Know what’s next. Become a WGSN member today to benefit from our daily trend intelligence, retail analytics, consumer insights and bespoke consultancy services.