Natural Selection prepare for the launch of their “No Evil” limited edition jean made from rare selvedge denim.
British denim brand Natural Selection prepare for the launch of their “No Evil” limited edition jean made from rare selvedge denim. Holding significant meaning and a unique story, this jean is a must-have for denim lovers and collectors alike.
Back in 2007 Natural Selection founder John Park bought 1000m of organic 14oz selvedge from Cone Mills infamous White Oak plant in North Carolina. Much to John’s surprise, Cone terminated its organic cotton production shortly after his purchase leaving him with some of the most rare denim, which until now has remained uncut.
What made the fabric even more precious to John were the numbers: article W077 and the shade color 13. As a trained mathematician, John has always found the use of numbers and other symbols of academia appealing. As he discusses in the press release “The secret societies valued ancient Greek as the scholarly language and gave great significance to the numbers 7, 13 and 77, which we adapted for our own.” Obviously the co-incidence of the article numbers made the fabric even more desirable and he snapped it up immediately.
“The fabric is locked in the history of denim lore, being the only 14oz organic selvedge out of White Oak. Carrying a green selvedge, with a green caste of natural indigo it has a luxurious soft handle that belies its 14oz weight. The oak floors and the old looms combined to create character that shows the fabric’s class.”
Over the past year John has been busy putting the fabric to work and developing his most prized jean to date “No Evil” – a hand-crafted jean designed with the upmost attention to detail, craftsmanship and construction that the brand is recognised for. Limited to just 360 pairs, the exclusive jean is released this month (07.13) through 13 carefull
y selected stores worldwide and Natural Selection’s own e-commerce site.
The jean also marks a significant change in direction for the brand as it seeks to reposition itself as a more ethically conscious brand introducing ethical fabrics and techniques as well as recycled materials and sustainable washes for S/S 14.
Below are some of the details on the No Evil provided by Natural Selection:
- Branded with 13 stitches that sits on the right hand seam, it has 7 points facing forward representing NS’s future, and 7 points facing back representing their past. It also mathematically and graphically symbolises the project 77-13.
- The centre front button is a green circle symbolising the project and matching the colour of the selvedge.
- A continuous fly that carries the fabric’s unique green selvedge.
- Consisting of 4 hidden rivets, 4 front rivets, 4 fly buttons and the centre front button there are 13 metal pieces in the jean.
- All stitches are in tobacco and tonal indigo threads to give a clean and uncluttered aesthetic.
- ‘No Evil’ backwards also reads ‘Live On’
- The green circle button symbolises the circle of life
- Limited to 360 jeans to symbolise each degree in a circle
- The fabric was bought in 2007
- By co-incidence the Cone Mills designated this fabric W077-13
- To be launched with 13 carefully selected retailers around the world
- The launch of ‘Project No Evil’ will be July 2013 – 07.13
- ‘Project No Evil’ has 13 letters
- The jeans have 13 metal rivets and buttons
- The fly buttons carry the Greek letters GOTS and their colour is Iridium
- Iridium is the 77th element in the periodic table
- The branding on the jean of 13 stitches, with 7 points forward and 7 points backward, preflects 77-13
- In numerological terms, where A is 1, B is 2, C is 3 etc, as illustrated in the presentation gbox, the letters NO EVIL add up to 77