Oct 09, 2018 | By Siofra Murphy
Big data meets consumer insights. Experience WGSN.
Too often we focus on marketing nightwear to the coupled-up masses. It’s romantic, it’s sexy – as a strategy, this makes sense. But let’s not forget 51% of people in the UK alone are single and not necessarily hurtling headfirst into the murky world of Tinder. The intimates industry needs to consider this and to reach out to those getting their zzzzzzs solo. How? Using these five products…
1. Onesies. It’s the classic, never disappointing, little black dress of solo sleeping that manages to cover every inch of the body like a grown-up babygro. Worth considering when it comes to this item is it fulfills the consumer desire for sleepwear that doubles up as loungewear. Also, Net-A-Porter stocks onesies (pictorial evidence below) which means they’re not just cosy but officially stylish too. Joy.
2. Cute pants. Not sexy. Not cool. Quite comfy and really just for the customer’s own personal entertainment. Perfect single sleeping attire.
3. Irreverent two-pieces. Conversational sets like this one are a) good for slouching b) in fashion (honestly, Jeremy Scott fans are mad about prints like this) and c) adamantly not trying hard to look cool (which is very important).
4. Pyjamas. They’re hugely underrated thanks to their unfair saddo rep – I blame the Bridget Jones connotations – yet still the most popular thing to sleep in. 83% of people wear something to bed and PJs remain the number one choice of snoozing attire. Think about ways to update them – a cool, relevant print is always good.
5. Kimonos. That’s not to say that glam nightwear should be reserved just for people in relationships. Considering Victoria’s Secret is worth approximately $1.9bn, clearly everyone – coupled, single or otherwise – is interested in looking hot at bedtime. Worth considering, no? The kimono is a fantastic option for this market – rather than being overtly sexy, it’s romantic, glamorous and pretty. Basically, the type of thing you’d want whether someone was going to see it or not.
INTIMATES, IN DETAIL: The latest trade show takeaways first. Live Q&As to ensure all your questions are answered. The future trends that are going to be huge. Our ridiculously clever Intimates team deliver all of that, and then some. Sound good? Join WGSN.
Know what’s next. Become a WGSN member today to benefit from our daily trend intelligence, retail analytics, consumer insights and bespoke consultancy services.