When it comes to fashion, men often get the short end of the stick – we are encouraged to stick with the basics, the classics, keep the hair cropped short, wear a muted palette. Girls on the other hand have loads of cute options to choose from – things like the new Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony
. Whenever I see a girl wearing clothes this damn cute I suffer from a strange mixture of attraction and jealousy. I actually dress in sort of a male version of this look, which requires a great deal of planning, shopping at 14 different stores, and mixing new and vintage. Cool downtown girls just walk over to the OC
on their lunch break and boom there you go – the whole look all there on one hanger. So not fair…
The Chloe Sevigny
line is for Spring 2008
– that means it will likely be hitting the floor sometime between late January and mid-February – in case you want to start lining up now. I plan to stop by the showroom and take a look at the pieces before then, but from the photos I’ve seen so far, here is my take:
- – The line combines the (Liberty-print) preppy and the punk.
- – It combines an 80’s Merry-Go-Round, cool-store-at-the-mall feel with a 90’s grunge feel.
- – It’s very Opening Ceremony.
- – It has a bit of a preppy/chic French schoolgirl look – I think of Repettos or other oxfords, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and riding a scooter home from class.
In short, it looks like the perfect wardrobe for a cool but somewhat WASP-y gal from Connecticut on the loose in the grungy/cute early 90’s New York of her dreams. Sound familiar?
Know what’s next. Become a WGSN member today to benefit from our daily trend intelligence, retail analytics, consumer insights and bespoke consultancy services.