WGSN’s Denim Team presents the 10 Things every denimhead has experienced at Denim by Premiere Vision.
With Denim Premiere Vision (now officially without the ‘by’) A/W 16/17 edition on the horizon, WGSN’s Denim Teams prepares you with a breakdown of the top 10 denim moments you’re bound to experience over the 2 day show this week.
1. You spend the last 6 months planning your day 1 denim outfit and it consists of 7 different indigo pieces.
Denim by Premiere Vision is the bi-annual show that every denimhead attends so you better make sure you bring it on day 1 of the show.
2. You are constantly on the lookout for the following denim top trump industry guys.
Throughout the 2 days you will need to tick off the following denim dudes from you’re must-spot list: Andriano Goldschmeid, Jason Denim, Francois Girbaurd, Piero Turk and Tatsushi Kuroki for the true denimheads.
3. You live on a diet of cured ham, parmesan cheese and red wine.
You can always rely on the Italian, Turkish and Spanish mills to provide delightful condiments as you peruse the denim collections. Best stands for it: ITV, Orta, ISKO and Montebello and ROYO. Head to Japanese stands for a sweet treat.
4. You say ‘we’ll come back when it’s not so busy’ every time you walk past the ISKO stand.
From 9am opening to 6pm close there’s a never a quiet moment on ISKO’s stand. With much hyped new releases and huge showcases, pull your sleeves up and get prepared for an indigo scrum.
5. You spend 2 hours transfixed by obscure Japanese weaves and trying to work out how they are created.
From Kuroki to Nihon-Memphu and Kurabo all these Far-East mills will have constructions that will blow your mind.
6. You’re constantly scouring the floor for selfie and instagramable ‘denim moments’.
The new expanded home of Fira Monjuic has meant that show can go crazy with its installations and booths making it a huge playground of selfie-opportunities. Sportswear International’s photo booth is a must-see.
7. You get told off by security for taking photos on the trend forum (even if you have a photo pass)
The show is notorious for its tight security and they wont miss a beat if you dare to try to snap a shot of a fabric swatch. You have been warned.
8. You’ll see denim demonstrated in ways you’d never wear it.
No era, theme or activity will go amiss when mills try to showcase their new seasons collection. Expect the absurd and bizarre with everything from ballet dancers to rollerbladers to Victorian ball gowns and circus performers.
9. Even though you’ve seen it a hundred times before you can’t resist another Jeanolgia laser demonstration.
The saying goes “don’t look into the light” but you just can’t resist the mesmerising rapid speed of a G2.
10. You’ll take away a suitcase of denim freebies you never thought you’d need.
All those denim outfits that you prepared before heading to Barcelona. Be prepared to leave them behind and make room for all your new denim necessities that include denim totes, Tencel denim opera gloves, mini jeans, denim note books and indigo tees.