8 hours ago | By WGSN Insider
It’s not your typical top. The off-the-shoulder closet staple needs warm weather and a certain level of bravery to rock. But happily the skies are getting sunnier, Coachella’s first weekend just happened and all the attention has turned to how to rock this controversial closet number.
The off-the-shoulder top jumped into our consciousness back in A/W 14/15, a street style must-have for daring fashion types. With the rise and rise of Colombian fashion designer Johanna Ortiz, the look gained even more traction, and Salvatore Ferragamo’s Woman Runway SS 16 was awash with these tops. More recently they’ve been updated at the European trade shows we’ve attended for A/W 16/17, mainly Tranoi.
In stores, the high street has gone wild for these tops:
“In the first three months of the year, new-in cold shoulder tops have grown a staggering 256.8% YOY, ” says WGSN INstock Editor, Jessica Fioriti, “With ASOS – the sub category key backer growing options by 165.3% during the same period.”
Here’s how to rock your off the shoulder, cold shoulder top with attitude:
1. Opt for bright colourways, it’s a spring/summer inspired top so rock it with burnt oranges and other colours that remind you of beach days.
2. Play with prints.
3. If you’re aiming for volume on top, team it with more straight legged trousers to balance the proportions.
4. If you’re lucky enough to live in a city that gets peak summer weather (ie NYC, not rainy London) team the look with shorts.
5. Mix and match your stripes and prints (break the rules!)
6. Go full superwoman, with an oversized off the shoulder top.
7. Rock the off-the-shoulder top as a dress a la Salvatore Ferragamo.
8. Want to ease into the trend? Opt for a black colourway…
9. Channel &OtherStories by accessorising your top to match your bag.
Want more? Here’s how to rock your leather jacket and make your mark here.
Like this? Join WGSN for global womenswear trends, key colour updates and more.
Know what’s next. Become a WGSN member today to benefit from our daily trend intelligence, retail analytics, consumer insights and bespoke consultancy services.